When you’re travelling abroad to visit relatives your loved ones, most of the time you don’t want to be hassled by repetitive inquires about your status, visa, finances and other particulars required to get a visa. Thankfully, if you’re travelling to Canada, there’s a relatively recent concept called Super Visa – which not only lets you stay within the country longer and even lets you travel relatively freely in and out of the country.
If you’re looking to visit children or grandchildren, it’s highly recommended that you get the Super Visa as opposed to a Visitor Visa, since the requirements are much easier to pass and the benefit are exceptionally greater.
A super visa is a pass into the country of Canada that’s mostly meant for parents and grandparents to visit their family who are working or have settled in the country. Unlike a normal visitor’s visa that allows someone to stay in the country for up to 6 months, with an option to extend – the super visa will allow for up to 2 years in the country with no need to take additional permissions.
Not only that, if you’re planning to travel to and from the country, you won’t need to take additional permission every time. The super visa is a multi entry visa, so you can enter and exit the country as many times as you want while it’s in service.
What are the requirements?
If you want to apply for a super visa, there are a few requisites that you’ll have to go through. Here are the basics
- You have to be a parent or grandparent of a permanent resident or citizen of Canada.
- Be allowed to enter Canada according to the normal visa laws
- Prove that your child can sustain you in case of emergency during your stay in the country by disclosing his income threshold to the proper authorities
- Produce a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild
- Go through proper immigration medical tests
- Have a Canadian medical insurance coverage of at least $100,000
If you meet these requirements, you can begin the application process. It usually take anywhere between 10-20 business days to process the application, so plan well in advance. While you’re at it, take care of the Super Visa Insurance process as well, since, out of all the requirements listed, that’s the only one that isn’t available on short notice.
How do I get Super Visa Insurance?
The Super Visa Insurance is a key requirement if you want to apply for a Super Visa. It’s in place so that in the case that you are faced with any medical emergencies during your stay, you will easily be able to manage your bills without spending too much on hospital bills.
The insurance you buy has to conform to the rules set up by the Canadian Government. As such, the parameters are few and easy to fulfill. Take a look:
- Must be issued by a Canadian Insurance Company
- Provides a minimum cover of $100,000
- Covers hospitalization, reparation and healthcare.
- Has a validity of at least one year
- Is available for scrutiny by the Port entry officer.
The Insurance premiums for Super Visa aren’t overly expensive, with prices ranging from $1000 to $4000; you can even apply online to get the process started. There are various options in coverage as well, ranging from covering pre-existing conditions to prescription refill costs and beyond. In some cases you’re required to submit documentation of your present health condition as well, separate from the government requirement of immigration medical tests, however that varies on a case to case basis.