Buying a laptop can be an exciting but daunting affair. With so much selection available online and in-store, it can be difficult to know how to choose the right one for your budget and needs. While the go-to favorites are often Microsoft or Apple, new brands have emerged on the market, making the selection even more difficult.
The good news is there are ways to narrow down your search if you know what to look for. Below is a guide for choosing the best laptop in 2020.
Narrow Down Your Criteria
If you’re new to buying a laptop, there’s a lot to think about. Before you go ahead and buy something that looks nice, narrow down your own criteria.
This includes factors like:
- Operating system (Windows, mac OS X/macOS, Google Chrome OS): which one are you most comfortable with?
- RAM (Random Access Memory): simply put, RAM is the system’s memory. The higher the RAM, the greater the ability to multi-task.
- HDD & SSD: HDD (known as a hard disk drive) contains a circular disk that spins and stores your data and operating system. SSD (known as a solid state drive) is a newer system and is based on discs rather than the moving parts of a hard drive.
- Processor: the processor is essentially the computer’s brain. Largely powered by Intel (often seen as Core i3, i5, or i7), the better the processor, the faster the computer.
- Disc Drives: this applies to whether you want a regular DVD drive or more specialized ones like DVD-RW or BD (Blu Ray).
- Speakers and sound cards: will you be gaming, watching movies, or listening to music with your new laptop? If so, getting a laptop with adequate sound cards and speaker systems is important.
- Display: do you want a gloss or matte display for your laptop? While the former is often brighter and crisper, the latter is easier on the eyes and is simpler to clean.
Decide on Size & Portability
The other thing to consider is the size and portability of your laptop. Will it largely be stationary, or will you be carrying it around with you on a daily basis? If you want something more portable, you’ll need to opt for a laptop that’s lighter and easy to carry. Otherwise, you could purchase a larger, heavier version.
Check Out Review Sites
Another good way to narrow down your search is to go to review sites like Tech Radar. They often provide top lists or buyer’s guide, with information about the top laptops in the current year. Not only do they compare price and functionality, but they also provide additional info, such as battery life, design, and pros and cons for each model.
Shop Around for Deals & Discounts
Lastly, once you’ve figured out the make and model of the laptop you want, don’t just buy the first one you see. Sometimes you can find the same laptop on another site or online store for much cheaper. Look around at other electronics stores or make use of Best Buy Coupons to help you narrow down your options and find an affordable one that suits your portability needs.
There you have it — a quick guide to buying a new laptop in 2020. Good luck with your search!